Monday, January 5, 2009

The New Year

I remember when I was in the first grade and I saw a 3rd grader and thought -"I'll never be that old."

I remember when I was in junior high and my sister was in high school and thought -"I'll never be that tall or that old."

I remember when I was about to graduate from high school and thought -"I'm not old enough to be in college. And I'm still not tall enough."

I remember when I was about to graduate from college and thought -"I'm not old enough to be a grown up. But at least I have high heels."

Last month I turned 25. I've been married for over 18 months, I'm a licensed minister and I'm about to graduate from seminary with my M.Div and be Ordained. I've bought a car, nursed my husband through surgery, paid for all my own bills, changed cell phone providers, gotten a pet and had to have him put down. Now Cliff and I are looking at buying a house, having children soon and I might have a full-time job come June.

And you know what?

I still feel like I'm not old enough to be a grown up. But I guess you don't have to feel it to be it. And you sure don't have to be tall, cause goodness knows that never worked out for me.

2009 is going to be a big year. Lots to achieve. Lots to dream. Lots to hope for.

My resolution? Keep buying high heels. Because if I'm really a grown up, I should at least look like it!

3 comments:

Another Texas Family said...

With a second child on the way I still don't feel 'old enough'. I wonder when that ends?

Jessica said...

this made me laugh so hard, you are such a witty writer!

Anglopressy said...

I remember a couple of years ago after having been in the military for four plus years and married for a while (with a child), that it took buying major appliances for the realization that I was, in fact, an adult. It's pretty tough making that leap from, not childhood but identity-purgatory, into adulthood. I'm still reticent to say that I'm a man. My father, step-father and father-in-law are men. I can't be in the same category with them. I've travelled to quite a bit of the world, been responsible for millions of dollars in government assets, supervised and trained young people, cared for my wife and son, voted, written congressional representatives to encourage them to do something, paid my bills; many of the things that men are expected to do, and yet I still feel like a guy.

I wonder if this is something that every generation goes through, or if this makes us unique. I guess I'll find out in about twenty years.

So, I suppose I'm saying, keeping buying high heels.

Grace and Peace,
Jared